Friday, May 30, 2008

Not Your Daddy's Father

Let me start by saying that I am a Catholic. I have been to mass, I have seen fathers speak of the word. I like my current father who really knows how to drive the word home. I have never been to a church though where my father/pastor or what have you screamed about snuffing out a shop owner.

Your lost? No this isn't Reverend Wright, this is Obama's other spiritual advisor. His name is Michael Pflegar, Father Michael Pflegar. He is a Catholic minister in Chicago as well. The first question I have isn't even what does this say about Obama but what happened to Christianity? Are these churches this crazy or are mine just that backward? Where is the peace? Is this how we teach the message of Christ? Was my memo lost in the mail? Darn those postmen. If this is what the church has to say to people today then it is no wonder there is a problem with recruiting.

There are too many of these priests for this to be some isolated incident. This is a problem that needs solving. Granted, Reverend Wright is not Catholic but he is still christian. This is a problem for every sect of Christianity. But hey, maybe I am just backward, one of the slow guys who fail to keep up with the world. If this is true then I am happy to be so.

Moving on to Obama. I did not judge as harshly for his first advisor as most did. Then again his ideology already was too much for me to stomach. Now we have two of his advisers giving very similar speeches in two different churches. Perhaps he met one through the other, in fact i think that was the case, but what about his wife's comments? His voting record? What about the plethora of topics I am not allowed to bring up lest I be called a heathen? If this were just one thing I would ignore it gladly and stick to the issues (I know he would fail on them all anyway), but puzzle pieces add to build a picture.

A while ago I worked at a different job and this job happened to have several pot heads. I didn't know at the time but the place was known for this. Despite who I was with, most of the customers I served could tell after talking with me that I was not a stoner. I would here comments like "What are you doing here?" So yes you can be judged unfairly just by who your with. This rule though applies only for so long. If these same customers saw me with a joint in my hand, a herby smell or a bong in hand then there would have been no confusion. Reverend Wright, had he been alone, would have been just an association, but with Pflegar, his wife and the new pastor of Trinity there is little doubt of the kind of picture we have here.

I already disagreed with his ideas on several levels. All that he adds here just gives us the why behind the what. For those of you democrats who are not sure still who to vote, just remember the why tells you more about a man's beliefs then his eloquent speeches will.

No comments: